Top: Made by Yours Truly, Dress: Target, Necklace: Vintage, Shoes: by Pass
Saturday, May 7, 2011
Thursday, May 5, 2011
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Thursday, March 31, 2011
|Head piece featured in Swoon Magazine.|
Holly Slayton, owner of Artikal Handcrafted Millinery, has been producing custom hats for over 9 years for both men and women. Here's what Holly had to say about her designs:
1. What inspires your designs?
- I love vintage silhouettes so even if I'm not trying most of my hats look like they have come out of the 30's. I make mostly cloches, fedoras and large brim hats out of straw and velour.
2. Do you make new collections each season?
- Yes and I am always creating new designs. I also do a lot of custom bridal and cocktail hats.
"(I) love (bridal) because I can be creative with every piece and make it special." Photography by Marie Labbancz
3. When does your next collection come out?
- I just did a lot of new designs for fall fashion week. I made hats for Terri Stevens line for project runway season 5. She requested fedoras so I just finished a line of fedoras some with large brims and some with a lot of drapes. (The theme was a mix of) Diana Ross and 70's sexy super fly.
- Steamer, sewing machine, hat stretcher and a lot of hand stitching.
|"(This) is my signature piece. I love incorporating drapes in to my pieces."|
- Everything is hand blocked and hand made by me in NYC.
- A few days. It needs to dry on the block overnight. My panama straws are handwoven in Equador and take about 5 days to weave before the straw is imported and I then start making the hats.
- I only sell exclusively online, in my studio which is open 2 nights a week, and at craft fairs and trunk shows. I had up to 8 stores carrying my line, but prefer to sell it myself and have created a large customer base this way. Plus I ship everywhere so the internet is easy to reach a lot more people.
|Bridal piece featured in Novias InFashion Magazine.|
8. Now that fashion week is over, what do you see happening for Fall 2011 for accessories?
- More hats...
Thanks Holly for sharing!
Holly also offers workshops so you can make your own custom hat at her East Village studio. I think it's great that she is willing to share her knowledge. For more info on when she offers workshops, check out her schedule.